We created a “Self Portrait” during the first few days
of Graphic Design this year, using only Magazine Cut Outs and Glue.
At the time, many of you said that you couldn’t find the right
pictures to make your portrait properly. THIS is your chance to get
Today, you will be creating another portrait of yourself, this time
using Photoshop and online images.
• Locate at least 15 different images from the Internet (preferably using
our PUBLIC DOMAIN
WEBSITES). These images should relate to you
and your interests in life.
• Using the LAYER MASK tool, cut the desired images
out of their backgrounds.
• DO NOT cut out images of faces or body parts! DO NOT use any school
inappropriate images, such as drug, alcohol or gun related pictures!
(This will result in a ZERO on this assignment!)
• Using these images, arrange them on a canvas in Photoshop, of AT LEAST
700 x 700 pixels (the actual shape of the canvas is up to you.)
• Your image should show representative images of your head, face, eyes,
lips, hair, etc., all created from the various images that you
• In addition, you will have to use images to create a background to
your portrait, please make sure that your background is also created
from varying images as well. (For instance, do not simply find
a big picture of mountains and paste it in as a mountain background.)
THINK BIG! This is to be an artistic representation of you. Pretend
you are working on the “BLACK
SQUARE PROBLEM”, with
an infinite number of images and YOU are the theme!
You MUST cover the entire surface of your canvas with images, I do
not want to see any underlying whiteness when you are done.
In the lower right corner of your completed artwork, give your work
the following title:
“Self Portrait of yourname”
This assignment will be due next class period and will be worth 100
GRADING: I will be grading this one pretty simply:
• 3 points for each of the 15 base images used in your work, for a total
• 15 points for properly titling and dating your work in the LOWER RIGHT
corner of your canvas.
40 points based upon the quality and artistry of your work, completely
based on Mr. B.’s subjective opinions!
• Total of 100 points!