THE PROJECT: We have been working on the use of drawing tools in Adobe Illustrator, such as PEN, SHAPE, STROKE, FILL. Students will use these techniques to create a graphic illustration from scratch of a cartoon character.
Here are the rules regarding the creation of your illustration:
- You must be able to use the PEN tool to create precise curves and shapes, as outlined in the DRAWING video and assignment. If you are not completely comfortable in this, you should PRACTICE this skill before moving on to this project!
- You may select any graphic image or cartoon (or even a photograph, if you wish to take on a real challenge!) that you like, SAVE THIS IMAGE to your CARTOON folder. PLEASE NOTE THE PROJECT COMPLEXITY REQUIREMENTS BELOW!
- PLACE your image into an appropriately size Illustrator artboard.
- LOCK your image layer, to make your life easier.
- Start recreating your figure, using the Pen tool and Shapes as needed. Select appropriate colors and strokes to complete your figure.
- When you are done, delete your image layer.
- Save your .ai file and export a .jpg file for grading!
WHAT KIND OF FINAL PRODUCT ARE YOU EXPECTING, MR. B.? Use the images below as a guide for the complexity of your project.
|IMAGE COMPLEXITY and PROJECT REQUIREMENTS
|Relatively simple. If you are NOT Concurrent Enrollment, your project must be AT LEAST this complex, if not more so.
|More difficult and complex. If you are CONCURRENT ENROLLMENT, your project MUST be at least this complex or more so.
|Extremely complex. If you are doing well in Illustrator and would like a challenge, you should be working on something of this difficulty level.
GRADING: This will be a larger assignment, hopefully one that takes students at least 3-4 days to complete properly. It will be worth a total of 200 points. 100 points for proper use of Illustrator DRAWING tools and 100 points for precision in the replication of your original image.