THE PROJECT: We have been working on the use of drawing tools in Adobe Illustrator, such as PEN, SHAPE, STROKE, FILL. Students will use these techniques to create a graphic illustration from scratch of a cartoon character.
Here are the rules regarding the creation of your illustration:
- You must be able to use the PEN and PENCIL tools to create precise curves and shapes, as outlined in the DRAWING video and practice assignments.
- You may select any graphic image or cartoon (or even a photograph, if you wish to take on a real challenge!) that you like, SAVE THIS IMAGE to your CARTOON folder. PLEASE NOTE THE PROJECT COMPLEXITY REQUIREMENTS BELOW!
- PLACE your image into an appropriately size Illustrator artboard.
- LOCK your image layer, to make your life easier.
- Start recreating your figure, using the Pen tool, Pencil tool and Shapes as needed. Select appropriate colors and strokes to complete your figure.
- When you are done, delete your image layer.
- Save your .ai file and export a .jpg file for grading!
WHAT KIND OF FINAL PRODUCT ARE YOU EXPECTING, MR. B.? Use the images below as a guide for the complexity of your project.
|IMAGE COMPLEXITY and PROJECT REQUIREMENTS
|Relatively simple. If you are NOT Concurrent Enrollment, your project must be AT LEAST this complex, if not more so.
|More difficult and complex. If you are CONCURRENT ENROLLMENT, your project MUST be at least this complex or more so.
|Extremely complex. If you are doing well in Illustrator and would like a challenge, you should be working on something of this difficulty level.
GRADING: This will be a larger assignment, hopefully one that takes students at least 3-4 days to complete properly. It will be worth a total of 200 points. 100 points for proper use of Illustrator DRAWING tools and 100 points for precision in the replication of your original image.