BACKGROUND: Students will be selecting a controversial topic to extensively
research and analyze. After researching, students will construct an "information station or kiosk" which outlines all of the facts of the issue and indicates (using supporting information) what each side of the American Political Spectrum (Liberal and Conservative) believes regarding the issue. In addition, the station will attempt to persuade the viewer to act in one way or another regarding their topic.
FIRST THINGS FIRST:
The student will be selecting one of the topics below (or one of their
own choosing, with the approval of the instructor).
This will be "First come, first served," and each topic can only be researched by ONE student . Students may NOT select topics regarding use of drugs or alcohol. They may also NOT select a 2nd Amendment topic, as this will be used as a topic for research later in the year.
POSSIBLE TOPICS (Drugs, Alcohol and 2nd Amendment Issues are not available for this paper!):
- Capital Punishment
- Racial Profiling
- Hate Speech
- Tax Cuts
- Safe Spaces
- Drug Price Regulation
- Right to life issues: Brittney
- Stem cell research: Alyssa
- Animal testing:
- Planned Parenthood funding:
- Immigration reform:
ID Cards to vote:
- Women in Combat: Bri
- Right to Life/Die
- Birthright Citizenship:
- Abolishing the Post Office.
- Is Torture ever justified?:
- Welfare Drug Testing
- Gender Neutral Public Facilities:Kyle
- LGBT Adoption Rights
Police Violence issues.
- Confederate Flag/Memorials Controversies
- School Lunch/Food Issues.
OTHER: Topic must be approved by instructor!
Dignity in Dying Issues
Drug Testing for Benefits
Women in Combat
Gender Neutral Public Facilities
||Is torture justified?
Right to Life Issues
Stem Cell Research
Students MUST include each of the following in their "PRESENTATION":
- You must create some sort of "STATION" or KIOSK that will allow others to view your information and make decisions regarding your controversy.
- Background information regarding the history of the controversy and PERTINENT details regarding the controversy.
- Detailed information regarding the different political views of the controversy. Have information from both the LIBERAL and CONSERVATIVE side.
- Please include pertinent QUOTES regarding your topic from PROMINENT FIGURES!
- ALL DATA and OPINIONS need to be SOURCED! Otherwise, you are just making stuff up! Include a SOURCES SECTION for your station!
- YOUR OPINION regarding this issue, with information that you find PERSUASIVE.
- After our viewing day, we will hold a VOTE on the issues, using an electronic ballot.
ALL OF THE FOLLOW QUESTIONS SHOULD BE RESEARCHED AND ADDRESSED IN YOUR WORK:
- Background of the Topic:
What is the basic background and history of this controversial topic?
- What makes this a controversial topic?
c. What are some of the controversial aspects of this topic that need to be addressed?
- Sides of the Topic:
a. How does the Liberal/Democratic person view this problem? (Include DIRECT QUOTES from prominent figures whenever possible!)
b. How does the Conservative/Republican person view this problem? (Include DIRECT QUOTES from prominent figures whenever possible!)
c. What political ideals come into play concerning this topic?
a. Why is this problem important in the United States today?
Which of these facts regarding this topic are most important?
- What is your opinion regarding this topic?
- If your view becomes mainstream, how will these changes in the future affect Americans?
SOURCING YOUR PROJECT: Please include ALL sources
used on a CITATION section. Please use APA format when citing your sources.
Here is an online resource that may assist you with this: citefast.com.
SOURCES: Students SHOULD BE USING AT LEAST THREE sources for their information for this project. WIKIPEDIA RESOURCES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!